Blackston, Blackiston, Blakeston, Blakiston, Blaxton
'A Dictionary of British Surnames' by P.H. Reaney
is the first entry in 1086 in the doomsday book for Essex.
William Blacston', Blakeston', Blackstan 1235-42 entered in
the Fees (Liber Feodorum, 3 vols, London, 1920-31) for Buckinghamshire.
Old English Laecstan meaning 'black stone'.
Atteblakeston' 1275 entered in the Subsidary Rolls for Worcestershire
(Worcs History Society, 4 vols, 1893-1900); William de Blakstan
1316 Feet of Fines for Kent (Archaeologia Cantiana 11-15,
18, 20, 1877-93; Kent Records Society 15, 1956). Means 'dweller
by the black stone', as at Blackstone Edge (Lancashire) or
Blaxton (West Riding of Yorkshire).
Cox's County Who's Who Series for Norfolk 1912.
2nd Baron (cr. 1899), Bertram Francis Gurdon BA; D.L for Norfolk;
Lieut.-Gen Reserve of Officers; A.D.C. to Colonel Commanding Norfolk
Vol. Infantry Brigade. Address-Grundisburgh Hall, Boxford, Suffolk.
Born, 13th June, 1877: eldest son of Robert Thornhagh Gurdon (who
was created Baron Cranworth of Letton and Cranworth, Co. Norfolk,
Cox's County Who's Who Series for Norfolk 1912.
M.Inst.M.E., Member Sanitary Institute; Civil Engineer; Resident
Engineer and Loco. Supt. Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway;
Member of Sewers Commission, Eastern Hundreds of Norfolk. Address-The
Grange, Brinton, Briningham, S.O. Born at Basle, Switzerland; son
of Dr. W. Marriott and Lydia Margaretha Ecklin; educ. at Neuwied
and Lausanne, and Exeter; married 1885, Gertrude, 5th d. of the
late R. J. Rouse, R.N.; family, 4 sons and 2 d.; formerly Engineer
to Eastern and Midlands Railway; constructed many miles of what
is now the M. and G.N. Railway, including Breydon Viaduct and a
large amount of private works; Miller and Telford prizeman, Inst.
House, Huntingdon, Huntingdonshire
House (which derived its name from a brook rising at Thurning
in Northamptonshire) was the baronial residence of the noble
family of Sandwich, and is partly in the parish of St. Mary,
Huntingdon, and partly, an extra parochial liberty in the
hundred of Hurstingstone. It is situated a little distance
to the west of the town, on the north-west side of a gentle
slope; and commands a fine view of the surrounding county.
On the south of the pleasure ground is a high terrace which
overlooks the Brampton to Huntingdon road. Hinchingbrooke
House was chiefly erected by Sir Oliver Cromwell. It is built
on the site of the old Hinchingbrooke Nunnery and Sir Henry
Cromwell is reputed to have used the materials from the priory
at Barnwell in the original building. Queen Elizabeth I visited
the house in 1564. James I visited Sir Oliver Cromwell here
in 1603 and again in 1605, 1616 and 1617, although other visits
may not be recorded. King James knighted Sir Thomas Haywood
here in 1616 and Sir Richard Ingoldsby in 1617. King James
rewarded Sir Oliver's loyalty and hospitality by creating
him a Knight of the Bath on 24 th July 1603. Sir Oliver Cromwell
was forced to sell Hinchingbrooke House and its lands through
necessity on 20th June 1627 and it was bought by Sir Sydney
Montague of Barnwell. On 22 January 1830 Hinchingbrooke House
caught fire and many treasures were destroyed.
Sanders and Company, Kempston, Bedford
1907 R.B. Sanders and Company opened their leather works in
College Street, Kempston, having moved from Higham Ferrers,
Northamptonshire. The wooden premises burnt down in 1910,
after which they were rebuilt on a much larger scale. The
original St. Stephen's Church, Spring Road (built in 1888)
was replaced in 1940 by the Church of the Transfiguration
and this was subsequently used by Sanders Leather factory.
The factory is still there.
Hall / Le STRANGE Family
from Kelly's Directory - Norfolk - 1900
Hall, a fine mansion, standing in abeautifully wooded park,
is the seat of Hamon le Strange esq. D.L., J.P.; in 1853 it
was much injured by a fire, when the ancient banqueting hall
and eighteen other rooms were destroyed. Hamon le Strange
esq. is lord of the manore and principal landowner..."
is the total description for the hall. As for le Strange there
were both Roland le Strange and Hamon le Strange living in
the hall in 1900. Other details pertaining to le Strange are
Loombe Carpenter ran the "le
Strange Arms" Hotel in 1900. There was also a street called
"le Strange" Terrace in the Westgate area of town.
Ringstead is/was a small enclave 2 miles south of Hunstanton
with one farm which was property of Hamon le Strange esq.
but occupied by Mr. William Dodman, a farmer, who resided
Hunstanton. The foundation stone to the town hall was
laid by Mrs. le Strange February 24th, 1896. The General Post
Office was opened by Mr. le Strange in April, 1899.
le Strange was the Vice-Chairman of the New Hunstanton Urban
Distrit Council. He was due to retire in April, 1901. William
Horton Reece was the land agent to Hamon le Strange at this
time. The chairman of the Hunstanton Advancement Committee
was Roland le Strange.
to Kelly's Directory for Norfolk, 1900
Manor, the property of Commander Thos. Holmes R,N,, J.P. of
Fritton End, lord of the manor of Morningthorpe, is a mansion
of red brick with stepped gables, in the Elizabethan style,
pleasantly situated near the church, and is now the residence
of James E. Bayne esq. J.P.